866-947-9173 | 2801 County Road 114, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601 | Contact Us


Frequently Asked Questions

Banjo, Adopted 2007Banjo, Adopted 2007When is C.A.R.E. open?

C.A.R.E. is open to the public from 10:30a.m. to 5:00p.m., Tuesday through Sunday. 

We are closed for Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Where is C.A.R.E.? How do I get to your shelter?

Our shelter is at 2801 County Road 114 in Glenwood Springs.  We are directly across the road from the Colorado Mountain College, Spring Valley Campus.

What kind of animals do you accept?

We typically deal with companion animals, like dogs and cats, but occasionally will house other domestic animals brought in by Garfield County Animal Control or the City of Glenwood Springs like fish, ferrets and other exotics.

How do I surrender my dog or cat to C.A.R.E.?

Because we are almost always at capacity, we will need to put your animal on our surrender wait list.  The wait time for this list can be anywhere from a few days to a few months, so please be patient.  We will  accept your animal as soon as we have the resources and the space to care for him or her. There is a $75 surrender fee for dogs and a $50 surrender fee for cats. Please note that we can only accept animals within Garfield County.  

To get on the wait list, please call 970-947-9173 to talk with the staff at CARE.

In the meantime, we recommend hanging fliers around town with a picture of your pet.  We also recommend that you put an ad in the paper.  Many times, you will find the perfect home for your pet without them having to spend even a day at the shelter. 

 C.A.R.E. understands that sometimes it may be necessary to give up a pet, and we will do our very best to place yours into a new home.  We know how hard it is to surrender an animal, and we want to help you in every way possible in your time of need.       

What is the foster care program, and how can I get involved?

Colorado Animal Rescue is looking for devoted animal lovers that can open their homes to some of our deserving furry friends.  C.A.R.E.'s foster program allows animals that are too young for adoption, are recovering from surgery or illness, or are in need of socialization and training, to stay in private homes until they are ready to be adopted into forever homes.  Fostering requires time and energy, but is truly a rewarding experience, for both the families and the animals. 

Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more information on our Foster Care Program.

How do I become a volunteer at C.A.R.E.?

C.A.R.E. depends on the dedication and devotion of our volunteers to keep our doors open and continue our mission. The first step in becoming a Colorado Animal Rescue volunteer is to fill our a volunteer application. Volunteering is fun and rewarding, and a great way to help the animals and people in our community. Just a few hours of your time can make a big difference.  Contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more information.

How do I make a donation to C.A.R.E.?

You can send tax-deductible donations, by mail, to Colorado Animal Rescue at 2801 County Road 114, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601.  You can also make a credit card donation over the phone, call 970-947-9173.

Do you offer training classes at the shelter?

Yes! Colorado Animal Rescue offers dog obedience and behavior management classes at several levels.

Contact our Training and Behavior Manager for more information about our training classes.

How can I view the adoptable animals at C.A.R.E.?

The best way to view our adoptable animals is to come to the shelter and meet our furry friends face to face.  All of our animals have their own personalities and deserve some quality one-on-one time.  In the meantime,  you can view some of C.A.R.E.'s adoptable animals on Petfinder.

How do I adopt a C.A.R.E. animal?

The first step in adopting a C.A.R.E. animal is to fill out an application. We are not a same day adoption facility. Once you submit an adoption application, we ask for 24 hours to review it. Our adoption fees are $150 for dogs/puppies and $100 for cats/kittens. 

What are the names of some local pet resources like vets, trainers, boarding kennels and pet stores?

There are many pet resources that we recommend in the valley. Many of them are listed on this website under "useful links."

Can I receive any help getting my animal spayed or neutered?

We offer Garfield County residents a $50 voucher to use at a vet of your choice. Contact us at (970) 947-9173 for details.

DOG of the Week
Cattle Dog
>> more
CAT of the Week
>> more

Help the animals in our care by donating to the shelter! Your gift, no matter how big or small, will improve the lives of homeless and abandoned animals within our community and beyond. Thanks so much for your support!
Donate Now!
e-Newsletter Sign-up

e-Newsletter Sign-up

Our Hours


Tuesday - Sunday
10:30 am - 5 pm

Like Us on Facebook!