Cleaning between your foster groups
Once you have taken the puppies back to the shelter for surgery it is time to clean and prepare your puppy room for your next foster group! You will need to:
- All puppy supplies should have been cleared from the space and returned to C.A.R.E.
- If you have a non-carpeted room, sweep and mop the floor. Once the floor is dry, mop again with a bleach water solution (1 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water) and let it sit for ten minutes. Afterwards you will want to rinse with clear water and then let it dry.
- If you have carpeted floors you will need to vacuum well and spot clean any areas that need it. If you have a carpet cleaner you should use it between groups. **Please note, if your foster group ended up with a contagious virus, you may need to have the carpet professionally cleaned, or possibly might not be able to use that room again for fostering for 6 months – 1 year.**
- Wipe down all surfaces with a bleach water solution consisting of one part bleach to 32 parts cold water (1 ounce to every 32 ounces of water).
- Wipe the walls down with the bleach solution. You do not have to do all of the wall, but at least the bottom 3 feet.
- If you have a bed in the room, change the covering on it. If you have a chair or couch in the room you will need to vacuum it and spot clean if needed. Ideally, your foster room will be void of anything covered in material like a chair or couch unless it is covered with a plastic sheet designed to protect them.
Being conscientious about sterilization will help ensure that your next foster group will not catch any illnesses from the previous group of puppies.