Expenses and Supplies
C.A.R.E. covers all medical care expenses for foster kittens if performed at C.A.R.E. or at other veterinary clinics approved in advance. Colorado Animal Rescue is not able to reimburse any personal expenses incurred by foster parents for unauthorized veterinary care. You must get CARE staff approval prior to bringing the kittens to a Veterinarian (see Support Contacts).
C.A.R.E. also supplies all items needed for you to be able to care for your foster kittens. The following is a list of all supplies we might send with you, depending on the litters’ age and needs. Most of these items are given to every foster home, depending on shelter supply.
Main Supply list
- Litter box
- Litter scooper
- Non-clumping or pine pellet litter
- Plastic cat crate
- Dry food
- Wet food
- Gram scale
- Low sided bowls
- Bedding (towels/beds/blankets)
- Daily weight monitor charts
- Daily health monitor charts
- Supply return checklist
- Disposable gloves
- Rubbermaid bin for supplies
- Puppy pee pads
- Cat scratcher
- Snuggle Kitty (if applicable)
- Snuggle Safe (if application)
- Nesting/birthing box (pregnant mothers only)
Additional supplies will come in a small tote bag. This is called a “Baby Bag” and includes the following items (based on supply):
- Kitten shampoo
- Nail trimmers
- 2 fecal sample containers
- Rescue Ready Made Spray
- **Thermometer and sterile lube packets for thermometer
- **Feeding Syringes – 1 cc and 3 cc (non luer lock)
- **Proviable capsules
- **Karo syrup syringe (in case of suspected low blood sugar)
- **Amoxicillin drops, 1 cc syringe for administration, 12 cc syringe for water
- **Iodine Tincture (pregnant mothers only)
- Baby bottles (if applicable)
- Kitten Milk Replacement (if applicable)
- Soft toothbrushes (if applicable)
Items marked ** MUST have staff approval prior to use.
Low on supplies?
It is the responsibility of the foster home to notify the Foster Care Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are running low on supplies, ideally a week in advance. We will then coordinate for you to pick up the supplies at the shelter.
In certain cases we may ask you to purchase supplies on your own. If this approved in advance, please keep your receipt and C.A.R.E. will reimburse you.
All above items must be returned to C.A.R.E. the day the kittens are returned to the shelter. You will be provided a supply checklist when you initially pick up your kitten, please utilize this as a reminder at the end of your foster period. If you are able to clean and disinfect the items before returning them, we appreciate the help, but it is not required.