Along with training the animals at Colorado Animal Rescue. C.A.R.E. also offers Dog Basic Manners Training and Puppy Manners Classes throughout the year as well as annual grumpy growls, scent work classes, agility, K9 Parkour, Canine Good Citizen, and fearful fido classes. We believe in cultivating positive, life-long relationships with dogs using motivational, reward based training. C.A.R.E.’s trained and certified professional dog trainers use scientific progressive learning principles that lead to happy humans and happy, healthy dogs. We believe that by building a relationship founded on trust and friendship, dogs and their humans can live harmoniously together. Learn more here about our head trainer and behavior manager Charissa Carvell KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA, Low Stress certified handler, AKC CGC Evaluator.
Animals From C.A.R.E. Receive 2 Free private training sessions, one Free welcome home class, or 50% off a Group Class.
- Cooperative Care Seminar: Does your dog hate the vet or groomer, do they growl or try to bite when getting care done, or would you just like to continue to have a good dog at the vet. This may be the perfect seminar for you. Learn more about how to teach your dog to be an active participant in his/her veterinary or grooming needs. Teach your dog skills to decrease stress while getting vaccines, nail trims, or groomed. Learn how to advocate for your dog to decrease chances that something scary happens which may cause your dog to dislike being groomed or treated. Join skilled certified professional trainers Charissa Carvell and Tracey Yajko as well as Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and Owner of All Dogs and Cats Veterinary Hospital Lori Pohm for a two day in depth seminar on husbandry and cooperative care when it comes to small animal practice.
- When: November 16-17th 9am – 4pm (with breaks)
- Where: All Dogs and Cats Veterinary Hospital
- How: Sign Up Here
- Who: Join us either as a working team with your dog or auditing spot to take note and watch teams work. We also have professional options, if you are a veterinarian, trainer, groomer, or vet tech in the valley please see your professional sign up by following the “how” link above to sign up yourself or your team to learn more about how you can help clients and their pets succeed!
Level 1 Classes:
- Basic Manners Class begins Jan. 7th at 6:30pm $120/6 weeks Sign Up Here
- Puppy Class begins Jan. 7th at 5:15p.m. $25/week Sign Up Here
- Fearful Fido: Shy and Shut Down $150/6 week class
- Grumpy Growlers: Leash Reactivity Starts Sept. 30th at 6pm $150/6 week class Sign Up Here
Level 2 Classes:
- Door Dashers Anonymous: Recall for all Occasions $125/5 week class
- Walk with Me Please: Loose Leash Walking $125/5 week class
- It’s not all about Food: Toy Skills $125/5 week class
Level 3 Classes:
- Canine Good Citizen Prep Class $150/5 week class
- Cooperative Care Class $150/6 week class
Fun and Games Classes:
- Level 1 Scent Games $150/6 week class
- Urban Agility: K9 Parkour $150/6 week class
- Drop in Scent Games for Advanced Practice $25/week
- Drop in Puppy Play Group for puppies 8 weeks-16 weeks FREE coming soon
Behavior modification private lessons: $150/hour
Some dogs face bigger challenges than just basic manners. Common behavior challenges include reactivity or aggression towards dogs or people, fear and noise phobias, separation anxiety, resource guarding, and more.
These private lessons give you and your dog one-on-one attention focusing specifically on the steps of behavior modification for your dog’s unique behavior challenges.
FOLLOW-UP LESSON PACKAGES:
3 Hours for $355
5 Hours for $560
7 Hours for $740
- Do you have questions about what would be the perfect fit for your dog? Email Charissa at Charissa@coloradoanimalrescue.org
“This review is long overdue, Charissa is amazing!! I started taking my dog here shortly after I rescued him and he had some pretty severe behavior issues like fear. She went above and beyond with working with my dog to help him overcome those issues. I can’t recommend her enough for any and all dog training.”
– Amelia and Cooper (pit bull mix)
“I can’t thank you enough for all that you have done for us and (our dog). I know that you have a special gift for people and their dogs. Which has helped us immensely.”
-B and R (pit bull hound mix)
“Charissa helped me with my beautiful leyna! She is a rescue that came with a ton of fear reactivity! I could barely walk her down the street without her snapping and lunging at fences and other dogs. You taught me how to react and how to recondition her response! All with positive reinforcement building her confidence. Our walks are sooooo much better! I couldn’t thank you enough.”
-Anna and Leyna (pit bull)
“Charissa helped me get Finn’s trash hunting under control!! I felt so silly asking for help with something I thought I could train out of him on my own. You were so kind and didn’t make me feel like I was a dumb dog mom, and you linked me to a TON of incredible resources. I felt supported and educated by you as a professional but also as a fellow dog mom. Finn has only had one incident since you and I spoke, and that was facilitated by one of his friends. You helped me feel like Finn was safe when I’m away at work or at class. I can’t thank you enough for helping us!! You’re incredible and I would 1000% recommend you to anyone who needs dog training or behavior advice!”
-Lisa and Finn (cattle dog)
“Being a fly on the wall while (Charissa) led puppy classes in our store allowed me to pick up certain things that changed the way I explained things to customers, and how I approached learning with my cat!”
-Rachel with Bentley’s Pet Store
“The class (Grumpy Growlers) I took with Charissa was great, I did feel like I learned a lot, liked that they were shorts sessions and also appreciated the set up you had for each dog as well. You also have a great personality that makes us feel welcomed.”
-Carlos and Pablo (border collie)
“My wife and I adopted our dog, Norma, in December 2017 and struggled for over a month to help her cope with separation anxiety. After a little early success, we had several major setbacks and frustrations and we still weren’t able to leave her alone for even 15 minutes. We were frustrated and exhausted and Norma was suffering. It became too much for us to handle, so we contacted Charissa for help. We booked a private lesson/initial consult with Charissa to see if it would be a good fit, and we were immediately impressed by the background research she did prior to our meeting. The fact that she took time to review our background info, training plan, notes, and videos prior to our first meeting allowed her to maximize our training session and teach us the skills we would need moving forward. After the initial consult, Charissa followed up with a customized training plan designed to help us not only deal with the separation anxiety, but also included a more holistic approach to help Norma become a confident and happy dog in all areas. The training plan was extremely thorough and we had immediate success following Charissa’s guidance. Based on our positive experience with the initial training session, we also purchased an online coaching package so Charissa could help as we continued to work through the separation anxiety training. Charissa was just as attentive and professional for the online coaching as she was in person and she continued to provide helpful suggestions and advice as we worked through the program. During this time Charissa also provided us with tons of additional training and play tips that helped strengthen our bond with Norma and helped her to thrive in every way! As a result of Charissa’s efforts there is one very happy dog and two very relieved and grateful owners who are able to work normal schedules and even go out to dinner again!”
-Travis and Norma (beagle mix)
Help the animals in our care by donating to the shelter! Your gift, no matter how big or small, will improve the lives of homeless & abandoned animals within our community and beyond. Thanks so much for your support!